Saturday, July 2, 2011

White bean, Spinach and Goat cheese Lasagna

One of my favorite blogs that I follow is The Fitnessista. I have found so much great info on her blog, from training programs to fashion tips and yummy (healthy) recipes. She follows more diet restrictions than I do, but the recipes she shares are easily adaptable.

When I saw "white beans", "spinach" and "goat cheese" together in the same sentence, I knew immediately this was a recipe I needed to try! And it did not disappoint, even Michael loved this meatless recipe.

I made note of the changes I made, it can easily be made vegan or gluten-free if that's how you roll.

Ingredients:
Lasgna noodles I used oven-ready whole wheat noodles
1 med white onion
2 cloves minced garlic
Olive oil
1/2 container organic baby spinach (I ended up using the whole container)
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans
1 jar tomato basil pasta sauce
2 servings of soft goat cheese
3/4 C shredded goat gouda (Vegan? Use Daiya instead of both goat cheeses) I used shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
Juice of half a lemon
Cayenne, sea salt, pepper, garlic I used red pepper instead of cayenne

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 and boil 8 lasagna noodles so that they’re slightly undercooked. Pat dry.

2. In a pan on medium heat, sauté the chopped shallot and 2 cloves of minced garlic in olive oil and a little butter until soft. As I noted, I used onion instead of shallot and I left out the butter

Wilt in the spinach, add the beans (drained and rinsed) and season well with sea salt, pepper, the lemon juice and a pinch of cayenne.

3. Next, layer the lasagna!

Sauce on the bottom, covered by 3 noodles. Then 1 serving of crumbled goat cheese, 1/2 of the bean mixture. 2 noodles, sauce and shredded goat cheese. Top with the other half of bean mixture, crumbled goat cheese, 3 noodles, sauce and shredded goat cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes covered in foil, 15 minutes uncovered.

This turned out great and was so easy to put together! It made really good leftovers, too. The goat cheese was so good (and definitely a different twist on traditional lasagna), but you could also substitute ricotta cheese and I think it would still taste great.

No comments: