Monday, January 28, 2013

Pasta with Chickpeas and Garlic Sauce

I have been trying to make a new recipe a week this year in the hopes of getting out of the dinner rut I've been in. I am in particular need of vegetarian recipes, I have lots of chicken and turkey recipes to rotate.

I had actually come across this recipe on Cooking Light's website a while ago, but didn't use it because I didn't have a food processor (and our blender is a pain to clean). Luckily, Santa brought me a beautiful Kitchenaid food processor, so it was time to give it a try!

I read through the reviews ahead of time and made a few changes based on other readers' comments. I only used about half the amount of chicken broth called for (and next time would use vegetable broth to make the recipe vegetarian) and also cooked all of the garlic at once instead of adding raw garlic at the end. I served with roasted broccoli and it made a great dinner.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (as I said, I only used about half)
1 1/2 cups uncooked medium seashell pasta (about 6 ounces) (based on the reviews, I used the whole 10oz box of pasta)
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Preparation

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add crushed garlic (as I noted earlier, I used all four cloves of garlic at this step); sauté 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, chickpeas, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
While garlic mixture simmers, cook pasta in boiling water 9 minutes, omitting salt and fat; drain well.
Place chickpea mixture in a food processor, and process until smooth. Combine chickpea mixture, pasta, tomatoes, minced garlic, fresh parsley, and lemon juice; toss well. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
Lia Huber, Cooking Light
JANUARY 2005

No comments: