Sunday, June 7, 2009

Race for the Cure

On Saturday I had the opportunity to participate in Race for the Cure North Texas. I signed up through JC Penney, which put together a big team. My goal was to raise $100 and thanks to the generous support of friends, family and coworkers, I raised $136!

The race itself was pretty hard, I have had better runs. It was already so hot out by 8am and in addition the allergens were terrible. My nose was congested by the halfway point. My original goal was to finish in less than 30 minutes, but my time ended up 30:41. I still beat my time from the 5k I did two months ago, so I will have to be happy with that.

After the race, there was a huge area set up with a band and sponsor booths. There was so much free stuff: Einstein's bagels, coupons from Chick-fil-a, fruit, water bottles, Sun Chips...I walked around collecting some freebies for a while. I never did find my JC Penney group, I guess nobody else was in the starting corral that was set up for those using chip timing.

After I left the freebie area and walked back past the finish line to head to the car, it was really inspiring to see all the people still walking the race. The street was just a sea of pink, it was an incredible amount of people! I will definitely participate in Race for the Cure again!

No comments: