Monday, March 28, 2011

Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon 2011

I decided to kick off a new year by running my third half marathon on my 28th birthday! What better way to celebrate?

I have never run a Rock 'n' Roll event but I have always heard good things about them. I was so impressed at the organization. We got to the drop-off point very quickly and I was able to find my corral easily. The MC's and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders kept us entertained before the start gun. The corrals started one after the other, Corral 9 left only 16 minutes after the official start time.

The weather was great: cool, no wind and overcast.

I loved hearing the bands spread out throughout the course and the pockets of supporters that came out to cheer for us. (Not nearly as many spectators as White Rock, but the support is always appreciated!) The funniest supporter was around Mile 1, right as we were passing Lew Sterret, just one guy standing on the corner: "Great job! Keep it up! You still have a long way to go!" Um, thanks?

I felt great through the race, I took water at most of the aid stations and Cytomax twice. I carried Honey Stinger chews with me because I have used them (or Gu Chomps) on all my long runs. However, I never ended up taking any because (TMI) by mile 4 I felt like I had a brick in my stomach. Not bad enough to have to stop, but I felt like eating anything would be a mistake.

My parents told me where they would be watching for me (in front of La Madeleine, just before mile 7) and I was so happy when I spotted them! I started jumping up and down and waving my arms to get their attention. This was the first time I have ever had a "cheering section" on a course and it really energized me!

Once I hit Mile 10, I knew I was in the home stretch and I felt like I still had enough energy to really push myself. So I told myself I was just going to go all out for the last 5K and started picking people off one by one.

And once we got within sight of Fair Park, I just hauled ass! I didn't even care whether or not I ran out of steam.

I PR'd by 7 minutes! I still can't believe it!

Breakdown:
Chip time: Pace:
5K 00:32:23 10:26
10K 01:05:03 10:31
10M 01:43:34 10:11
FINISH 02:12:37 09:21

Afterwards, I wanted to stay to watch Bret Michaels but my achey legs begged to differ. By this time it was also starting to drizzle a little so we called it a day and went home so I could eat and nap!

I will definitely do Rock 'n' Roll again!

No comments: