Sunday, April 3, 2011

Quick Tomato Sauce

I have used this recipe several times already because it is quick, easy and I usually have all the ingredients on hand. Since it's a chunky sauce, it goes best over a short-cut pasta like penne.

I started with this recipe as a base and tweaked it to our tastes. I don't use capers and I added crushed red peppers.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons dried italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

Preparation
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add basil and the next 6 ingredients (basil through tomatoes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over pasta

No comments: