Sunday, September 15, 2013

Dallas Marathon Training: Week 9 Complete!

Sun 9/8: 3.27 mi, 39:28 (I'm not sure how accurate my watch was, some of the other trail runners said the loop was closer to 3.5 miles)
Mon 9/9: Rest
Tues 9/10: Intervals 3x2 mi 7.03 mi, 1:11:33
Wed 9/11: 50 min recovery run Sweaty vinyasa, 1 hour
Thurs 9/12: 5.01 mi, 59:16 (base + strides) + Strength training (arms and abs)
Fri 9/13: 1 hour base + strides 3.95 mi, 47:35 (recovery)
Sat 9/14: 16 miles long 15.81 mi, 2:48:48

Tuesday was another tough workout. We did a warmup mile, then picked up the pace to about a 9:00min/mile for two miles, recovered for 5 minutes, then another two 9:00 miles and finally a cooldown mile. I kept up with the group for the first tempo interval, but fell behind on the second. I wasn't the only one, though, Leslie and I stuck together for the last part. Oh, and we saw a coyote just off the trail!

I had to shuffle around the rest of my planned workouts this week. But I had a good reason! On Tuesday morning, I got an email from my yoga instructor, I had entered a drawing for a free month of yoga and I won! He wanted me to come to the Wednesday night class so he could take a picture with me for the newsletter. So I skipped my planned recovery run and recovered with yoga instead.

I decided to do my base with strides run on Thursday and do my recovery/shakeout run on Friday (the day before my long run). I am just going to have to accept that my early morning runs are going to be slow! I haven't had coffee or any fuel (that would require getting up much earlier), so I just don't have the energy. I also tested out my new hydration waist pack, I like it! I wish it had more room to store stuff (my phone, ID and a bag of Honey Stinger chews barely fit) but it's pretty lightweight and comfortable.

Saturday's run went well! Early in the run, we saw two more coyotes, eek! My group was doing 14 miles with a fast finish, meaning we would pick up the pace from miles 10-13, to about a 9:30 min/mile. Because I was adding on two extra miles afterwards (for a total of 16), I didn't want to push it too much, so I stuck with my buddy Michael and our coach Kelly at closer to a 10:00min/mile pace. We got back to the DRC Clubhouse and I kept going a little further, but I misjudged when I was supposed to turn around so ended up just short of 16 miles. I ran around the parking lot a couple of times trying to get to 16, but finally felt dumb and decided to just say, "Close enough!"

After the long run, I joined some friends for breakfast at Buzzbrews. This was a mini-reunion of my training group from last year, we had a great time catching up! And breakfast was delicious!


Of course I blinked, I promise I had not nodded off at the table!

This week's plans:
Sun 9/15: Rest
Mon 9/16: 40 min base/easy run + 1 hr sweaty vinyasa yoga
Tues 9/17: Hill repeats x 7 (eep)
Wed 9/18: 50 min recovery run
Thurs 9/19: Strength training
Fri: 9/20: 1 hr base + strides
Sat 9/21: Tour des Fleurs 20k

Have a happy and healthy week!


No comments: