Monday, September 5, 2011

Half Marathon Training: Week 6 Complete

Long time, no post!

I feel like this time around it's been much easier to get back into running after a short break. During the few weeks I took off, I still made sure to get in one good run a week. Also, once I started training for a fall half marathon, I started making myself get up early to run before work. This has worked much better than waiting until after work to run, when it is too hot to run outside and I'm stuck with the treadmill.

I am already signed up for the Dallas White Rock Half Marathon in December, but I think I want to do one more as well. I have not officially registered yet, but I think it is going to be the DRC Half Marathon on November 6. That is only one month before the White Rock half, but I think I am up to the challenge!

Last week's workouts:
Sun: Power Yoga podcast
Mon: 2 mi easy
Tues: Yoga Sculpt
Wed: 2.9 mi easy
Thurs: 2 mi
Fri: Rest
Sat: 6 mi easy

Saturday's run was tough, I had been fighting a migraine all week. Friday felt a lto better, but Saturday morning I woke up in pain again. I took Excedrin Migraine and drank some coffee and lots of water which seemed to help calm things down. However, my stomach was still upset and even though I stopped for water as often as possible, my head was pounding again by about mile 4. I thought about stopping after 5 miles (at which point I was back where I parked) but decided to just push myself through the last mile. My reward when I got home was a dose of my good medicine and a nap.

Sunday I participated in a workshop at the Y called Celebrate Yoga. They had a few different styles of yoga classes as well as t-shirts, goodie bags and drawings for prizes. I had a great time! I took a Power Yoga class outdoors (some cooler weather has finally rolled in), then came inside for a Gentle Flow class. It was a great way to start out the week and a nice healthy activity for the long weekend! My muscles are still feeling it today.

This week:
Sun: Celebrate Yoga! (~2 hrs)
Mon: 3 mi easy
Tues: Yoga
Wed: 3 mi easy
Thurs: 2-3 mi with intervals
Fri: Rest
Sat: Run Proud 5K. My first race of the season!

I need to get a longer run in (I am hoping 6-7 miles) and the 5K is only a little over a mile away. So I'm wondering if I should do a few extra miles before the race (I don't really like splitting up my runs like that) or just try to do the longer run on Sunday instead of Saturday. Thoughts? If nothing else, I'll at least jog over there and back, seems silly to drive just a mile for a race, right?

Hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day weekend!

No comments: