Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mexican Black Bean and Spinach Pizza

Last week, I bought a 2-pack of my favorite whole wheat pizza crust at Whole Foods last week and decided to do something different with the second crust. I wasn't sure how this recipe was going to turn out (we are generally pizza traditionalists in this house), but we had all the ingredients and I decided to give it a try. So glad I did, it was delicious and so easy!

I did make a few changes. Like I said, I used whole wheat pizza crust instead of cheese-flavored. I used fresh spinach since I usually like that better but it didn't cook down as much as I thought it would. Next time I would either use frozen or sautee the fresh spinach before putting it on the pizza. I also left out the extra hot sauce since we were out of it (very unusual!) and I would put it on next time for a little more heat OR use a hotter salsa. And finally, I used mozzarella because I didn't want to go to the store just for Monterey Jack cheese.

Ingredients
1 (10-ounce) Italian cheese-flavored thin pizza crust (such as Boboli)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2/3 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup bottled salsa
1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place pizza crust on a baking sheet; bake at 375° for 5 minutes or until crisp.
Mash beans with a fork; combine beans and next 4 ingredients (beans through garlic) in medium bowl, stirring to combine. Spread bean mixture over crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Spoon salsa evenly over bean mixture; top with spinach and cilantro. Drizzle with hot sauce; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.

No comments: