Monday, January 24, 2011

Texas Caviar

At work we decided to have a Lunch Around the World potluck. Everybody brought something that represented their heritage or family. I decided to bring Texas Caviar since it was a popular dish at my family's get-togethers, especially around the New Year. Black-eyed peas represent wealth and many people eat them for good luck at the beginning of the year. My parents grew up in Athens, TX, the home of the Black-eyed Pea Festival! (Yes, it's a thing.)

I combined a few different recipes and came up with this one, which turned out really good! I think it is definitely worth it to cut everything up by hand rather than throw it in the mini chopper, it makes a much prettier dish. I made it pretty mild since it was for a potluck, so next time I would definitely add more jalapeno and probably a little lime juice.

This dip is best with Frito's, but I also brought some baked tortilla chips for those of us who try to eat a little healthier.

½ white onion, small dice
1 green bell pepper, small dice
1 red bell pepper, small dice
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 ½ jalapeno peppers, small dice
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes w/ mild green chiles
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1 15 oz can black beans, drained
1 15 oz can black-eyed peas, drained
Black pepper (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Ground coriander
Ground cumin
4 T red wine vinegar
4 T extra virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients and refridgerate overnight. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

No comments: