Sunday, November 18, 2012

Dallas Marathon Training: Week 17 complete

I can't believe I made it through marathon training! Our last long run was my hardest yet, but I'll get to that.

Last week's workouts:
Sun 11/11: 7.5 mi bike ride
Mon 11/12: Power Vinyasa 4, 25 min
Tues 11/13: DRC pace run, 7.3 mi 1:20
Wed 11/14: 3 2.3 mi easy
Thurs 11/15: Strength training
Fri 11/16: Yoga or rest Yoga for Runners podcast, 25 min
Sat 11/17: 22 22.3 miles, 4:22

Saturday's run started out okay, I was nervous about the distance and my hip flexor was acting up again. But I had on brand new shoes (replacements of my beloved Brooks Glycerins) and got caught up in chatting with my group. We ran through some different neighborhoods though a lot of construction and uneven sidewalks. My pace leader tripped and fell as we left our second water stop (around 8 miles in). Then another team member tripped as we ran through Highland Park (in front of my alma mater Armstrong Elementary).

And finally, when we were in East Dallas, I tripped on an uneven sidewalk and did a complete wipeout. It happened so fast, I didn't even have time to put my hands down to stop my fall. I landed face first, scraping my chin and busting my upper lip. I sat up and could see the look of panic on my teammates' faces. I didn't feel any pain (yet) and asked, "Am I bleeding?" Everyone nodded yes and I put my hand to my face and realized I was *really* bleeding. I didn't worry too much because I know any head wounds bleed a lot even if they are not serious.

My teammates are amazing, several grabbed tissues, wet them with their water bottles and cleaned up my face. Big props to Michelle who literally pulled gravel and grass out of my face with no squeamishness. After several minutes, our pace leader Vicki calmly asked if I wanted to keep going or call someone to pick me up. She didn't put any pressure on me either way and said I could do whatever I felt comfortable with. By this time, I had stopped gushing blood and was able to stand up with no problem. I decided to keep going, promising my teammates that if I started to not feel well, I would stop.

Believe it or not, I felt much better once I started going again. I had a new determination to finish that run! My knee had also gotten scraped in the process and I bled on my new shoes. My teeth must have hit the inside of my upper lip because I could feel it swelling up. But my body felt good, I know that I'm actually lucky that I didn't twist an ankle or really hurt my knee. I talked to my nurse friend Victoria and she pointed out that our jaws are pretty tough, but our wrists are not. Even if I had put my hands out to catch myself, I could have easily broken a wrist.

Well, that's one way to finish out marathon training, with a bang you might say. Overall, I know I'm lucky, it could have been much worse. I should have been keeping a better eye on the sidewalk. I try to keep my head up when I run, but with uneven terrain like that, you have to be aware of every footfall and potential hazard. I don't know what I would have done without my teammates there to help, they are amazing.

I actually finished this run feeling way more confident about December 9th. If I can make it through 22 miles after literally falling on my face, I can make it through 26.2 no problem! I'll just have to keep reminding myself of that.

This week is Thanksgiving week and I'm not looking forward to trying to eat turkey and sweet potatoes with a bandage on my chin, but at least it will make a good story.

This week's plans:
Sun 11/18: Rest
Mon 11/19: Easy 30 min run
Tues 11/20: Yoga
Wed 11/21: Strength training
Thurs 11/22: 8 mile Turkey Trot
Fri 11/23: Rest or yoga
Sat 11/24: 12 miles easy

No comments: