Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dallas Marathon Training: Week 18 Complete

Alternate title: Taper Week 1 Complete

I know people talk about "taper madness" and that it's hard to cut back the miles at the end of training, but I am loving this break! I think my legs will feel so well-rested in time for the marathon.

Last week's plans:
Sun 11/18: Rest
Mon 11/19: Easy 30 min run Power Yoga 2 podcast, 30 min
Tues 11/20: Yoga 2.69 mi run (my phone died so not sure of the time, but about 30 minutes)
Wed 11/21: Strength training
Thurs 11/22: 8 mile Turkey Trot 1:23:27
Fri 11/23: Rest or yoga
Sat 11/24: 12 miles easy 12.3 mi, 2:23

My face is healing up well, I'm still so glad that my injuries were only superficial.

I started the Thanksgiving holiday by running the Dallas Turkey Trot 8 mile race. This is one of the biggest turkey trots in the country, with over 35,000 participants. Every year I get so annoyed by the crowds at the beginning. There are no corrals, so everyone starts together. Considering that I was forced to walk most of the first mile until the crowd thinned out, I was happy with my time.


This was my first year doing the 8 mile run, previously I have opted for the 5K, which splits off after about 2 miles. I didn't realize how many bridges (i.e. hills) we would go over, my legs were super sore afterwards.

My 12 mile run was harder than I thought it would be. My legs felt like lead after the Turkey Trot and my right knee randomly started really hurting. I thought about stopping to walk the last couple of miles, but I was able to run through the pain and it actually felt fine once we stopped running. Weird. I have been icing it and I think I will rest it until our Tuesday run just to be safe.

Monday night I have an appointment for another sports massage, I hope this will work out all the soreness from the last few long runs and get my legs ready for December 9!

This week's plans:
Sun: Yoga
Mon: Yoga or rest
Tues: 50 min pace run
Wed: Strength training
Thurs: 40 min recovery run
Fri: Yoga or rest
Sat: 9 mi run

Hope everyone had a healthy and happy Thanksgiving weekend! Ours was full of family and food, with a healthy dose of relaxing.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving! Congrats on the turkey trot -- sounds like a crazy huge race. Enjoy the rest of taper time. :-)