Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Butternut squash, Spinach and Goat Cheese Pizza

I love butternut squash, one of my favorite fall vegetables! I had some left over after making Quick Fall Minestrone and came across this pizza recipe from Self. Butternut squash, spinach and goat cheese? Yes, please!

I made some modifications. Instead of using dough, I used a prebaked whole wheat pizza crust. Instead of red onion, I used white and added a clove of minced garlic. I also added a little bit of red pepper and used fresh parsley instead of thyme because that's what I had.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups cubed butternut squash (1/2-inch pieces)
1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium white onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 prebaked thin whole wheat pizza crust
2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
4 oz crumbled goat cheese
chopped fresh parsley


PREPARATION

Heat oven to 400°. Toss squash with 1 tsp oil, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. On a baking sheet, cook squash until soft and lightly browned, 25 minutes, stirring halfway through; set aside. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil. Cook onion and garlic (season with remaining 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper), stirring, until light brown, 10 minutes. Add 2 tbsp water; cook, stirring, until brown, 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Turn oven up to 450°. Top pizza crust with squash, onion, spinach, cheese and parsley. Bake until crust is crispy and cheese melts, 10 to 12 minutes

No comments: