Sunday, October 2, 2011

Quick Fall Minestrone

Everyone around me has been sick and it finally hit me this weekend. Congestion, coughing and sore throat, yuck! Not sure if it's fall allergies, which have been particularly bad this year, or a cold. I went to the doctor Saturday morning to get a strep test, which luckily came back negative. They gave me some drugs and after a haircut and color (priorities, people) and a quick stop by the grocery store, I decided to camp out on the couch for the rest of the weekend. No running for me. :(

Tonight I made this for dinner and it was just what my poor sick body needed! I sauteed the carrots with the onion and garlic in order to let them soften a little more and used spinach instead of kale. I also left out the potato entirely. I'm glad that I did because the soup turned out super thick! I love a thick soup, but if you don't you might want to add more broth.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups vegetable broth
2 1/2 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
2 1/2 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled baking potato
1 cup (1-inch) cut green beans (about 1/4 pound)
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups chopped kale
1/2 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained I used chickpeas
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Preparation

Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 1/2 minutes or until tender. Add broth and the next 7 ingredients (broth through salt); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Add kale, orzo, and beans; cook 5 minutes or until orzo is done and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
Abby Duchin Dinces, Cooking Light
OCTOBER 2003

No comments: